Interview with Dirk Tsai

 Interview with Dirk Tsai

Petrichor III (2023), Acrylic and spray paint on canvas, by Dirk Tsai (Ya Ke Tsai)
MA Fine Ar

Joshua Y'Barbo (JY): Tell me about your practice: What do you make work about? How do you go about making your work? What do you think about when making your work? Do you still make work?

Dirk Tsai (DT): Yes, I do still make artwork. Now, I am working on blurring the line between the painting and the sculpture. Actually, I have made a lot of artwork. The concept is about taking down the limitations, standards, and definitions of society, but I only focused on pure painting. Then I realized that the biggest limitation was the frame of the painting and the size you got. Therefore, I started to extend the stretch bar of painting and expected how crazy it could be. As a result, there is one thing that I am doing now, is challenging everything from traditional.

JY: How was studying and finishing your degree? What had the most impact on the work you made and make now?

DT: I learned a lot during the Diploma and Master course, and I realized that I had a big problem I tried so hard to hit the expectations, whether from tutors, parents, or myself. That literally took the confidence away from me, and because of that, it made me think I wasn't good enough. However, I felt released to create and explore everything I was interested in when I left it aside. I enjoyed making the impossible as possible, and I had this belief for my artwork. I am so pleased that I awakened before graduating because "trust yourself" and "avoid the voice that influences you" have the most impact on my work.

JY: Based on your experiences, do you have any problem-solving advice for other artists & designers?

DT: 90% of people have the same idea, and 45% of people write it down, but only 1% of people will make it happen. so do first, then think after.

JY: What are your immediate concerns or interests, both personally and professionally?

DT: Definitely Emotions, especially emotional expression. Emotions are always around us, no matter happiness, anger, or peace. Any of them are independent and essential.

JY: Do you have any questions for me, other artists, or anyone further afield?

DT: Not for now, but I hope you all are well!

Link

www.dirktsai.com
https://www.dirktsai.com/



Petrichor III (2023), Acrylic and spray paint on canvas, by Dirk Tsai (Ya Ke Tsai)
MA Fine Art




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

TEAM LEWIS Foundation 2023-2024 Emerging Artist Exhibition

Art Club: Gallery Visit to Sarah Lucas’ Happy Gas at Tate Britain

Art Club for The Brain Tumour Charity Exhibition, Time (March-April 2023)