Interview with Xijun Liao

 Interview with Xijun Liao


By Joshua Y'Barbo



Joshua Y'Barbo (JY): Tell me about your practice: What do you make work about? How to you go about making your work? What do you think about when making your work? Do you still make work?

Xijun Liao (XL): I make work about puffer/denim fabrics and also design garment collections based on my materials. By manipulating and recycling new puffer/denim fabrics, I will develop fashion-related ideas based on them. Based on my fashion design background, many garment designs will be created and practised. I am also operating my own clothing brand from my design practices.


JY: How was studying and finishing your degree? What had the most impact on the work you made and make now?

XL: Studying in the US and the UK feels lucky because I can obtain a genuine global vision from these two influential fashion cities. I am still on my way to finish my MA Textile Design Degree. The textile techniques delivered to me by school helped my creative practices in fashion design step up to the next level.


JY: Based on your experiences, do you have any problem-solving advice for other artists & designers?

XL: Spend time visiting/communicating with any place or person who can help with your design practices.


JY: What are your immediate concerns or interests, both personally and professionally?

XL: My immediate concern is finding a proper job to get me more experience in the fashion industry.


JY: Do you have any questions for me, other artists, or anyone further afield?

XL: Please let me know if anyone has interest in my work/brand, or possible consideration to hiring me in their company


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

TEAM LEWIS Foundation 2023-2024 Emerging Artist Exhibition

Art Club: Gallery Visit to Sarah Lucas’ Happy Gas at Tate Britain

Art Club for The Brain Tumour Charity Exhibition, Time (March-April 2023)