Artist-in-Residence at the University of Kentucky's School of Art and Visual Studies

 Artist-in-Residence at the University of Kentucky's School of Art and Visual Studies

Sept 2023



I recently undertook an artist-in-residence at the University of Kentucky’s School of Art and Visual Studies, where I led a graduate seminar on creative problem solving, delivered on Art’s Social Impact and Sustainable Development Goals, and created 8 editions of prints. 




Graduate Seminar on Problem-solving



For this graduate seminar, I combined the critical thinking skills of problem-solving with the creative practice of producing ideas. I focused on teaching interpretations of Luciano Garbati's sculpture Medusa with the Head of Perseus (2008), which challenges the oppressive depiction of women and dominant cultural narratives in Western aesthetics. I used Garbati's sculpture as an example to show students a step-by-step process of problem-solving and producing ideas. The students completed two practical exercises that asked them to identify a problem unique to their work, or an issue important to them, i.e. racial equity, gender equality, or the climate crisis.
 

Lecture on Art's Social Impact and Sustainable Development Goals 



For this lecture, I combined research conducted on the Social Impact of the Arts with the UN Sustainable Development Goals to further illustrate the problem-solving and idea-producing techniques I introduced in the seminar. I explained to the students how art functions to deliver social impact and connected these functions to seeking out solutions for sustainable issues. I intended to inspire them to find ways of working that address the problems they face and connect these to the global problems we all face. 

Studio Work

I spent most of the week working on a series of prints on paper and canvas. For prices and edition information, contact me here


















 





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

TEAM LEWIS Foundation 2023-2024 Emerging Artist Exhibition

Art Club: Gallery Visit to Sarah Lucas’ Happy Gas at Tate Britain

Art Club for The Brain Tumour Charity Exhibition, Time (March-April 2023)