Written Interview with Pippy Stephenson

Interview with Pippy Stepheson

Conducted 14 February 2022

Tom to David (2021) by Pippy Stephenson 
Digital Print, Scan, Handwritten Text

JY: Tell me about your practice: what do you make work about, how do you go about making your work, what do you think about when making your work? Do you still make work?

PH: Doing a Fine Art degree taught me that I’d rather be a writer than an artist. So I haven’t been making art since I graduated but I have been writing a lot. And all the things I was interested in with my art I’m still writing about so I suppose not a great deal has changed. I make work about connections. I’m interested in how we’re connected to history and how objects, people, places and anything really can be situated in a greater whole and can be understood in relation to each other.

JY: How was studying and finishing your degree during the pandemic? What impact did it have on your studies and the work you make?

PH: The pandemic definitely had a pretty significant impact on my degree. I don’t want to spend too much time complaining and mourning what could have been, and re-hashing all the things we missed out on, so aside from the obvious negatives, I think the introspection and time alone meant that I came out with a more in-depth area of interest that feels more solidly defined. And I think the pandemic, or more specifically the lockdowns turned me onto ideas of simplicity and honesty being something to strive for which meant that I presented my work in a more confident way for my degree show.

JY: Based on your experiences, do you have any problem-solving advice for other artists & designers?

PH: I doubt that I’m the greatest person to seek advice from but I guess you’ve just got to follow your nose. I think when faced with a problem, walk away and come back later. Do something else to keep busy. Follow what you're naturally being pulled towards and see what happens.

JY: What are your immediate concerns or interests, both personally and professionally?

PH: Both in my work and my life I’m looking to find out how to reach some kind of simple, sustainable, contentment. I know that may sound dull but I think the consumption and constant stimulation of our time is too much for me mentally and also too much for the planet generally. So I’m personally trying to make changes to my life, to live more simply and slowly for both my brain and the planet. 





About the Artist

Pippy Stephenson 
Tom to David (2021)
Digital Print, Scan, Handwritten Text
BA (Hons) Fine Art
https://www.pippystephenson.com/



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

TEAM LEWIS Foundation 2023-2024 Emerging Artist Exhibition

Art Club: Gallery Visit to Sarah Lucas’ Happy Gas at Tate Britain

Art Club for The Brain Tumour Charity Exhibition, Time (March-April 2023)