Empowering Images: Black Artists Who Challenged Racial Discrimination By Dr Joshua Y’Barbo Ala Watches (2023) by Anita-praise Nweke As an artist-in-residence for the TEAM LEWIS Foundation , I focus on researching the intersections of the creative and communication industries. As such, my work involves writing about important social and sustainability issues within art and culture. In honour of #RacialDiscriminationDay (March 21st), I would like to highlight a few influential black artists who have challenged racial discrimination in the art world throughout the past century. Art has always been a powerful tool for creating awareness and promoting societal racial equity. It has served as a medium to bring to light the daily struggles and challenges people of colour face. According to un.org , The 2024 International Day theme is “A Decade of Recognition, Justice, and Development: Implementation of the International Decade for People of African Descent ”, which recognises, prom...
Call for Co-Creating the Future: Seeking Collaborative Contributions to Reimagining Critical Digital Performative Pedagogy For Proposed Focus on Reimagining Critical Digital Performative Pedagogy: Embracing Risk and Technoparticipation in a Post-Pandemic Higher Education Landscape Reboot & Reimagine: High-Five to the Future by Dr Joshua Y'Barbo (2025). Digital image waiting to be fully realised. , It's been 5 years since Leap into Action: Critical Performative Pedagogies in Art & Design Education , edited by Dr Lee Campbell . You can read my review of it for Art and the Public Sphere (Journal) here . Today, the theory of critical digital pedagogy remains highly relevant post-2020, particularly due to the global shift to online learning during the COVID-19 pandemic and the emergence of AI technologies . These developments have amplified its importance and introduced new dimensions for consideration. Pictured: Leap into Action: Critical Performative...
On Display: A Wing and A Prayer & Home in the Wind (2024-2025) Dr Joshua Y'Barbo (2025) In March, I installed some commissioned prints in the TEAM LEWIS office at Battersea Power Station. These works delve into personal themes of nostalgia, resilience, and the intricate journey of self-discovery that comes with leaving one home for another. Each piece tells a tale that reflects the bittersweet nature of growth—a narrative shaped by the echoes of family connections, the dreams of youth, and the inevitable challenges life presents. In these works, I explore the shared human experience of longing, growth, and connection, creating a tapestry of emotions that resonate deeply within us all. Joshua Y'Barbo Home in the Wind (Come Back Home Again) 2025 Digital Print, Acrylic and Enamel on Canvas 118.89 cm x 178 cm Come Back Home Again is from a series titled Home in the Wind (2024-2025), which I based on the Bob Dylan Song, I Was Young When I Left Home (1966), inspiring loss of ...
Comments
Post a Comment